Friday, September 30, 2016

Fire Fighting Tales from Rural Maine: Graduation Gifts

June 3, 2016
I just ironed my dress uniform and made sure all of my insignia were present and accounted for and in the right place. And then I enjoyed these two little friends who arrived in the mail today to tell me “congratulations!” and how proud their senders are of me. 
And then it hit me! This is actually happening! I did it! I’m graduating from the Hancock County Fire Academy. I am an interior fire fighter!! I totally *did* it!! Holy fucking cow!

Tomorrow is the second biggest day of my life…and it took everything I thought I had and a whole lot more I didn’t know was there to get to the end (which, it turns out, is really just the beginning!)…and…I did it! I really and truly actually did it! Holy crap.

I don’t have a partner or a family to come with me to graduation, but I am a fire fighter, so I know I will not be alone. Apart from my fellow cadets and our instructors, people who love me are showing up.

Peter hurt his back badly this week, but when I asked if he would still be able to come, he said, “Wild horses couldn’t keep me away.” At least three of the officers from my department are coming; and my dad and my stepmom; and Karen and Crystal are giving up their Brandi Carlisle tickets to come! The Wombachers will be there and my grandparents may even show up. And Titch is coming all the way from Portland! She’s coming even though she won’t be able to arrive in time to catch the whole ceremony. That is love, my friends; that is *love*.

Fire Academy was long and hard and there were a lot of lonely moments for me. But every time I drooped from fatigue or had to push through pain or fear (or both!), I pictured all the people out there, all the friends and family from across the whole span of my life who were rooting for me and believing in me. I would close my eyes and picture you all, standing up and cheering, and smiling at me at my graduation. And I would smile, too. And then I would open my eyes. And I would keep going. I can’t believe that that magical moment on the horizon, which kept me going through it all…graduation…is finally here!

I had a great deal of support from the members of my department. One of our captains logged a *lot* of hours coaching me to do everything from swinging a sledgehammer to crawling through confined spaces to climbing up on a roof and using a chain saw. And my Chief not only taught me how to don my gear, but had my back in every way throughout my journey. And whenever I wavered, everyone at the OFD always said, “You can do this!” And they meant it.

But even with all of that, I’m honestly not sure how I would’ve gotten through this experience without the support of all the believing eyes I knew were out there, thanks to Facebook. You, my friend, you who clicked Like or made a supportive comment or sent me a message or a letter in the actual bonafide came-from-the-post-office-mail because of something you saw me post on Facebook, you! *You* helped me get here. Last week 1,000 Smithies gave me a virtual standing ovation!

Today, these sweet gifts came from friends, a fire fighter gnome and a dozen fire fighter rubber duckies; a beautiful card magically arrived at my front door with a meaningful message from a fellow fire fighter; and even my mother, who hasn’t spoken to me in years (and told me she considers me dead), sent the most beautiful card.

The card from my fellow fire fighter said this: “May you have the courage to serve, the compassion to comfort, and the strength to perform your duties whenever you are called.”

And my mom’s card said, “You’re a woman who makes things happen. You’re a woman who gives her best to everyone and everything. You’re an inspiration to so many, and you deserve every happiness because of the wonderful woman you are.” She even signed it, "Lots of love."

It will be no surprise to my Fire Academy classmates that I cried a little when I read both. (Well, maybe it will be a surprise to them that I only cried “a little.”)

Thank you—Thank YOU—for everything you did to make this graduation day possible. I promise to serve with as much compassion, courage, and strength as I can possibly muster.

And just in case you want to see a whole bunch of fire fighters in their very finest: HCFA graduation is at Ellsworth High School, 6pm, 6/4/16 with a party to follow at Finn's. There will be bag pipes! And I’ll be so very glad, if you can come.




Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home